If you are an Xbox fan and love to try out new games before they are released, you are in luck. ID@Xbox, the program that supports independent developers on Xbox platforms, is bringing back its Game Demo Fest for the fourth time. This event allows you to play over 40 demos of upcoming unreleased games for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One for a limited time.
What is Game Demo Fest?
Game Demo Fest is a seasonal event that ID@Xbox organizes as part of Geoff Keighley’s Summer Game Fest promotion. It started in 2021 and has been held three times so far, in summer, winter and spring. The next edition will take place from July 11 to July 17, 2023.
The goal of Game Demo Fest is to showcase the diversity and creativity of the indie gaming scene on Xbox and to give players a chance to experience these games early and provide feedback to the developers. The demos are not the final versions of the games, but rather represent an early stage of development. Think of them as “show floor demos” that you would see at a gaming convention.
How to participate?
To join Game Demo Fest, all you need is an Xbox console and an internet connection. You can find the demos on the Xbox Dashboard under the Game Fest Demo tile or in the Store app under the Game Demos category. You can download and play as many demos as you want, but keep in mind that they will only be available for a week. Some might be re-published later, but many will disappear at the end of the event.
You can also share your thoughts and impressions with the developers on social media or through their websites. They would love to hear what you think, whether you like the game or have constructive criticism. Your feedback can help them improve their games and make them more enjoyable for everyone.
What games can I play?
The full list of games will be announced on July 11, but ID@Xbox has already revealed some titles that you can look forward to. Here are some examples:
- Demonschool: An RPG with tactical elements and a spooky horror vibe, Demonschool has you try to survive university life as Faye, the last living demon hunter. Experience unique tactical battles, build relationships with friends, complete goofy sidequests, and fight gigantic bosses, all while unraveling the demonic mystery of the island.
- Lies of P: Inspired by the familiar story of Pinocchio, Lies of P is an action souls-like game set in a cruel, dark, Belle Époque world. All of humanity is lost in a once-beautiful city that has now become a living hell filled with unspeakable horrors. Lies of P offers an elegant world filled with tension, a deep combat system and a gripping story.
- Sea of Stars: Promising the Sabotage touch in every system, Sea of Stars aims to modernize the classic RPG in terms of turn-based combat, storytelling, exploration and interactions with the environment, while still offering a hearty slice of nostalgia and good old, simple fun.
- The Wandering Village: A city-building simulation game on the back of a giant, wandering creature! Build your settlement and form a symbiotic relationship with the colossus. Will you survive together in this hostile, yet beautiful post-apocalyptic world, contaminated by poisonous plants?
- Worldless: A stylized 2D adventure platformer with innovative combat and a mind-bending, interpretive narrative. Players will walk the line between physical and astral planes within a shapeless world, embarking on a journey of self-growth and understanding.
These are just some of the games that you can expect to see at Game Demo Fest. There will be many more genres and styles to explore and enjoy. Whether you are into action, adventure, puzzle, strategy or something else entirely, you will surely find something that suits your taste.
Why should I care?
Game Demo Fest is a great opportunity for Xbox players to discover new games and support indie developers. You can play games that you might not have heard of before or that are not available anywhere else yet. You can also help shape the future of these games by giving your honest opinion and feedback.
Game Demo Fest is also a celebration of the indie gaming community on Xbox. It showcases the talent and passion of these developers who create amazing games with limited resources and often without any publisher backing. It also demonstrates the commitment of ID@Xbox to support these developers and bring their games to Xbox platforms.
So don’t miss this chance to play some awesome games for free and have fun while doing it. Game Demo Fest starts on July 11 and ends on July 17. Mark your calendars and get ready for some gaming goodness!