BTS and Coldplay bring crowd to their feet at American Music Awards
The BTS ARMY had a lot to celebrate on Sunday.
Fans of the K-pop supergroup were treated to an energetic and pyrotechnic filled performance with Coldplay of their song “My Universe” at American Music Awards.
The boy band also three awards for artist of the year, favorite pop duo or group, and favorite pop song for “Butter,”
The show was hosted by Cardi B at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles. She could barely be heard above the screaming crowd when she introduced Coldplay and BTS.
The international K-pop sensation, which stands for Beyond the Scene, includes band members Jin, Suga, J-Hope, RM, Jimin, V and Jungkook.
The group’s worldwide recognition grew in 2018 with their albums “Love Yourself: Answer” and “Love Yourself: Tear.” Their collaboration with Coldplay is one of many, they’ve also scored numerous hits with other artists like Halsey, Ed Sheeran, Nicki Minaj and Fall Out Boy.
Coldplay X BTS – My Universe
BTS Delivers Smooth Performance of ‘Butter’ to Cap Off 2021 AMAs
The Korean group raked in three wins at the awards show.
BTS capped off the 2021 AMAs with a smooth performance of their hit song “Butter” on Sunday (Nov. 21).
The K-pop group raked in three wins at the awards show including artist of the year, favorite pop duo/group and favorite pop song for the aforementioned song. For the show’s finale, the boys made it grand as they danced their signature tight choreography in butterscotch-colored suits. The stage design also matched their attire with screens displaying animated, melting butter hearts.
“Butter” secured the No.1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 10 nonconsecutive weeks. The song which released in May also received the remix treatment when Megan Thee Stallion hopped on the track several months later in August. Earlier in the night, the boys also joined Coldplay for a luminous performance of their collab “My Universe.” The AMAs originally scheduled BTS to perform their “Butter” remix with Megan Thee Stallion, who yesterday (Nov. 20) announced she was canceling her appearance due to an “unexpected personal matter.”
Taylor Swift Accepts the 2021 American Music Award for Favorite Pop Album – The American Music Award
American Music Awards: BTS and Taylor Swift take top awards
BTS were the big winners at Sunday’s American Music Awards, picking up three prizes including artist of the year.
The South Korean band also won best pop group for the third year in a row, and best pop song for their chart-topping dance anthem, Butter.
“This whole thing is a miracle,” said singer RM. “Seriously, we’ll never take this for granted.”
Taylor Swift won best female pop artist for the sixth time, also taking home best pop album for Evermore.
Those two prizes brought Swift’s total tally of American Music Awards to 34, extending her lead as the artist with the most wins. Michael Jackson is in second place with 26 wins.
What else happened?
BTS performed twice, appearing with Coldplay for a pyrotechnically-assisted version of My Universe; before closing the show with a breathless rendition of Butter – dressed in matching butter-coloured suits.
But rapper Megan Thee Stallion, who had been due to join them, pulled out at the last minute due to “an unexpected personal matter”.
The Houston native still won three awards on the night, including favourite female hip-hop artist and favourite trending song for Body.
Stranger Things actress Madelyn Cline, who presented the award, said she would be “Fed-Exing it to her personally”.
Olivia Rodrigo picked up best new artist, putting her on the path to win the same award at the Grammys next January (nominations are announced on Tuesday).
“This is so cool!” said the teen star, who had already graced the stage with her heartbreak ballad Traitor.
“Writing songs is my favourite thing in the whole world – and I am so grateful to everyone who has embraced my music.”
Who else performed?
The show saw performances from Bad Bunny, plus Bruno Mars and Anderson .Paak’s collaborative project Silk Sonic.
Jennifer Lopez performed On My Way, from her forthcoming rom-com Marry Me, in a voluminous wedding dress. Her boyfriend Ben Affleck was nowhere to be seen, though.
Ageing boy bands New Kids On The Block and New Edition staged
American Music Awards Full list of winners
- Artist of the year: BTS
- New artist of the year: Olivia Rodrigo
- Collaboration of the year: Doja Cat ft SZA – Kiss Me More
- Favourite trending song: Megan Thee Stallion – Body
- Favourite music video: Lil Nas X – Montero (Call Me By Your Name)
- Favourite male pop artist: Ed Sheeran
- Favourite female pop artist: Taylor Swift
- Favourite pop duo or group: BTS
- Favourite pop album: Taylor Swift – Evermore
- Favourite pop song: BTS – Butter
- Favourite male country artist: Luke Bryan
- Favourite female country artist: Carrie Underwood
- Favourite country duo or group: Dan + Shay
- Favourite country album: Gabby Barrett – Goldmine
- Favourite country song: Gabby Barrett – The Good Ones
- Favourite male hip-hop artist: Drake
- Favourite female hip-hop artist: Megan Thee Stallion
- Favourite hip-hop album: Megan Thee Stallion – Good News
- Favourite hip-hop song: Cardi B – Up
- Favourite male R&B artist: The Weeknd
- Favourite female R&B artist: Doja Cat
- Favourite R&B album: Doja Cat – Planet Her
- Favourite R&B song: Silk Sonic (Bruno Mars & Anderson .Paak) – Leave the Door Open
- Favourite male Latin artist: Bad Bunny
- Favourite female Latin artist: Becky G
- Favourite Latin duo or group: Banda MS de Sergio Lizárraga
- Favourite Latin album: Bad Bunny – El Último Tour Del Mundo
- Favourite Latin song: Kali Uchis – Telepatía
- Favourite rock artist: Machine Gun Kelly
- Favourite inspirational artist: Carrie Underwood
- Favourite gospel artist: Kanye West
- Favourite dance/electronic artist: Marshmello
also read :
- Black Friday Deals Amazon From TVs and headphones to Robot vacuums, iPad + Discounts on Celeb-Loved & Perfect Christmas Gifts
- Manchester City 3-0 Everton! That’s it, City have secured all three points. Highlights & All Goals
- DP World Tour Championship, Dubai : Collin Morikawa wins European Tour’s Race. Rory McIlroy finishes tied-sixth on the final day
- Mega Millions results ; Did Anyone Win jackpot worth $74 million ? Alpena County Man Wins $696,110 Super Lucky 7s Fast Cash Jackpot
- Flash mob : loots California Nordstrom ! 3 arrested, firearm recovered from Walnut Creek Nordstrom store looting involving 80 people
- Montana Grizzlies Men’s & Women’s Basketball Picks, Best Bets and Odds
K-Pop band BTS was the big winner at the American Music Awards on Sunday just four years after making their first appearance on the fan-voted show.
The seven member band from South Korea beat veteran Taylor Swift, rapper Drake, pop singer Ariana Grande, teen phenomenon Olivia Rodrigo and Canadian The Weeknd for the night’s biggest prize — artist of the year.
# AMAs BTS
Adored by an army of fervent fans, they also were named favorite pop group and won best pop song for their summer hit “Butter.”
The band, known for its positive uplifting music, called the artist of the year win a miracle.
“We’re truly honored to be on this stage with such amazing, tremendous artists,” said Kim Nam-Joon, known as RM.
“It’s been a long and amazing ride … nobody could have ever bet on the odds of us standing here and receiving this award, except you all,” he added referring to the band’s fans.
BTS closed the show with a performance of “Butter” and earlier joined Coldplay on stage for a rendition of their single “My Universe,” marking a post-pandemic return to live performances for the K-pop band.